| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #4 Registration
2014-05-03 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Kids Yamaha Classes - your thoughts and a roll call

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 8095

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Kids Yamaha Classes - your thoughts and a roll call Reply with quote

On the kids side of Yamaha. WKA and USPKS, a couple of years ago, started the Yamaha rookie class. It is the same as sportsman with the only exception being the age and weight and a restricted can. This class has been a huge success for both series with it being one of the largest classes run nationally. With the small carb and restricted can, a motor can be run all season no problem. I think the reason for the success is the lower weight, I know when Simon first ran sportsman we had to add 60 pounds of lead.

Would anyone be interested in this class?

Rookie:
It would be 7 - 10 year olds, weight would be 225 on a 35" to 41" wheelbase chassis. The exhaust would be a RLV 7500 YBX 3 hole can. To move to sportsman you would only have to change the can to a 4 hole.
The biggest advantage and I believe the reason for its growth is the weight. You do not have to add 70 pounds for a small kid to make weight and if you are over weight you just change to the 4 hole can and move up to sportsman.

Sportsman:
8-12 year olds weight is 255 on a 35" to 41" chassis with a 4 hole can.

Let me know your thoughts and if you would like to or are thinking about or are going to run a kids yamaha class.

We would run these classes together to begin with.

Thanks,

Jeff Sikes
Jeff Foust

Score: 3224

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there much of a speed difference? Or does the weight/can difference pretty much even out Rookie and Sportsman?

Daniel has mentioned wanting to run Sportsman in addition to clone, so we may dabble in it a little bit this year, depending on how things go. Seeing as how we'll already be running Clone Jr.1 at 265lbs, it won't be that much of a deal to get him to Sportsman weight, but it might be nice to run the lighter Rookie class.
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff there is a speed difference. I would guess rookie would be around .5 slower than sportsman at our track.
FM CHAMP

Score: 419

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Yamaha Rookie Reply with quote

Connor would love to race in Yamaha Rookie. Of course we could only make it to 6 races this year, we hope to do better next year.

Keith Roberts
dacarter_16

Score: 686

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanner will run sportsman next year.
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guys, I am hoping we can grow this class this year. I am well versed in the sportsman classes if anyone needs any help with kart, motor, clutch or gearing for any tracks.

Jeff Sikes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: