| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
kart starter battery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kilo119

Score: 277

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: kart starter battery Reply with quote

Well u just for my starter in and I hooked up my car battery but its not turning over my kt100 and the wires get hot. Battery is good. I was told the car battery won't work on the starter I just want to verify this and was wanting to know what battery to use and whats the cheapest one. The starter is a coleman I guess older version its a boxy one. Any info will help plz.[/img]
DrChip

Score: 47571

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wal Mart
kilo119

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it the car battery thats not making the starter work correctly. What's the correct battery to use though like voltage and amps.
kilo119

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the starter I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350832220042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
bspek

Score: 5042

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to an auto parts store and bought a lawn mower battery
, I have the same starter you have.

kilo119 wrote:
Here is a link to the starter I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350832220042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
DrChip

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice starter, great price!

I remember reading that a car battery is too powerful for jump starting a motorcycle-I am wondering if this is the same case?

I use a lawn tractor battery. A jet ski/motorcycle should work. $52 at wal-Mart. Get the biggest battery that will fit for more start time between recharging.

Hopefully you did not fry the motor, ot it was bad from the start. Some electric motor shop shouls be able to check it out.

Just some ideas make sure you have the wires connected to the correct post
-/+, try a low amp battery or a battery chare, by pass the switch to see if the switch is bad, ie bat charger on low amps touching the correct contats on the motor AFTER the switch. Should spin right up. If not, may be a problem with the motor, time to have it checked...c
kilo119

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor spins fast off the engine but once I put it on the starter nut and once it hits the compression stroke it struggles to spin . Im hoping its bc im using a car battery and its making that difference. I went to wal mart seen a few batteries but none said the specs as far as volts and amps
Darrin Tebbe
Information Technology

Score: 28909

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason a car battery won't work fine on your starter just as long as you know the car battery is good. Don't assume because this is a little starter that it doesn't need a fully charged battery to operate. It will still draw a lot of current under load. If you are trying to use a long length of small gauge wire from the car battery to the starter, that is most likely your problem. If the starter is spinning you just need to go get the correct battery, charge it fully, and then make sure it is connected correctly.

Make sure to check all the crimp connections on the wiring and also make sure there is no corrosion on the bolt that connects the solenoid to the case (the only way to check this is to remove the solenoid).

Also, while it may seem this a great deal, these starters are not gear reduction units, so they can struggle if your engine has really good compression. I've never had an issue with my Yamahas, but even my gear reduction starter struggles when trying to start our animal engines when they are hot unless the battery is completely charged. Again these are basically hacked car starters, so they do draw a lot of current and require a battery in tip-top condition along with wiring that is in equally good condition.

As far as a battery, you need a 12v battery that will fit the starter. They take a common lawn tractor battery you can get at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store. Don't worry about amp ratings, just get the 12v battery that fits in there snug... that will be the right battery.

I'm 90% sure this is the battery you need:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-UIP-7-Lawn-and-Garden-Battery/16782695

DT
kilo119

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I figure but what I did was hook up jumper cable from the battery to the wires of the starter. Like I said spins fast off the engine but once its on that starter nut its struggling to get past the compression stroke.
DrChip

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Darrin says?

A long cable, like am jumper cable, will loos energy ans it passes throught the wire due to increased friction.

As mentioned, check all connections for tightness and corrosion including the battery terminals, ends of the jumper cables, all the starter wires/connectionsp.

A car batter should do it, just make sure the artery is charged and good. When in doubt, have the battery tested at Auto Zone, Advanced etc for free.
If a batter is weak, it may not work under load.

I finally bought a battery tester that puts a dragon a battery when testing it using a coil that heats up to simulate load. Was $12 at Harbor Freight. Have several batteries now that show voltage, but shows bad under load.

Years ago,got a new battery and a rebuilt starter, BOTH were bad, and took me forever to,figure out what was going on. ,took them back, they checked both and replaced both, and zoom-zoom! c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: