| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #12 Registration
2014-09-20 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Yamaha Engine Preferences?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xracing36

Score: 1782

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Yamaha Engine Preferences? Reply with quote

So I am on the verge of moving up to Yamaha Junior, and depending on weight for next year, Yamaha Senior in 2014. However, I have a couple of questions for you guys who run Yamaha already about the engine such as upkeep and pricing.

First of all, who is your engine builder/tuner? Initially, of course, I would be buying a Yamaha Can for the Junior division, so what would be the pricing of said engine builder on a brand new one?

Second, after how many races do you take your engine in to the shop and have them do a tuneup to it? We ran our clone through about ten or so racedays plus two testing weekends and it didn't need a whole lot.

Finally, after how many race weekends do you change tires? I've heard from friends who run up north in Yamaha Junior that for a Man Cup weekend they'll have their practice set and a brand new set of tires for the racing alone.

Any feedback is appreciated,
Xander
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28396

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would PM Skylar59 and see if they still have any Yamaha Jr engines left. I'm pretty sure they had engines done by Comet and they were very competitive in Man Cup with them.

Needless to say I'm very happy with the performance of our CMC Yamaha, and Don is always just a phone call away. http://www.cmckarts.com

In pretty much any national series you are going to put new tires on for raceday. I would say for local races it really just depends on the quality of the competition, and what they are doing with tires. I don't see any reason you couldn't get 2 or 3 local races out of a set of tires, unless the person you want to beat is putting new tires on at every race... but that's the case with any class you run.

DT
Mike Pugh
Race Director

Score: 34912

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Sikes has a Comet Yamaha for sale in the classifieds.
http://www.georgiasprintkarting.net/forum/ads_item.php?id=599
Daniel White

Score: 6221

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For national races you will probably want to use new tires, but for club level stuff I'd opine that you may use two sets for an entire season.

I bought my kart in September with a set of used tires on them. Since then I've been to the track 6 times and have used the same tires. At this moment, Dickie Wilson has the best time in spec Yamaha Pipe, but I'm within a few hundredths of that time and my tires had more than 5 race days on them, when I ran 24.18. I've outqualified karts that have new tires--and I'm not even considered a front-running karter. The Bridgestone YLCs have great durability and consistency IMO.

For the first time in 5 years of karting, I'm putting on a new set of tires (for the upcoming night race) and I expect I will use them for the rest of the season.

There are several excellent engine builders available. I use Kyle Adkins. He gave my motor a full rebuild (I had major problems), and dyno'd, for about $800. I'm guessing I should get 10 hours (of club-level racing) before I will need a new piston and ring. If you have a Mychron gauge you can keep up with your engine "mileage." I've raced 4 times this season and have less than 2 hours on the motor.

I agree with Mike and Darrin--buy from Skylar or Jeff.
bspek

Score: 5038

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it is hot in summer we can be faster on used tires vs new... so it is pretty cheap b/c you can run 1 new set per year. Also for club level I would recommend get any blueprinted engine and just keep it fresh, we rebuild them around 10 hrs. Rick Sweeting is local and inexpensive for engine work. www.atlantakarting.com

Daniel White wrote:
For national races you will probably want to use new tires, but for club level stuff I'd opine that you may use two sets for an entire season.

I bought my kart in September with a set of used tires on them. Since then I've been to the track 6 times and have used the same tires. At this moment, Dickie Wilson has the best time in spec Yamaha Pipe, but I'm within a few hundredths of that time and my tires had more than 5 race days on them, when I ran 24.18. I've outqualified karts that have new tires--and I'm not even considered a front-running karter. The Bridgestone YLCs have great durability and consistency IMO.

For the first time in 5 years of karting, I'm putting on a new set of tires (for the upcoming night race) and I expect I will use them for the rest of the season.

There are several excellent engine builders available. I use Kyle Adkins. He gave my motor a full rebuild (I had major problems), and dyno'd, for about $800. I'm guessing I should get 10 hours (of club-level racing) before I will need a new piston and ring. If you have a Mychron gauge you can keep up with your engine "mileage." I've raced 4 times this season and have less than 2 hours on the motor.

I agree with Mike and Darrin--buy from Skylar or Jeff.
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5622

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xander,
Skylar's Yamaha is on Chris's TonyKart. I don't think they have any Yamaha's left.

We started out with it this year, and it had a Man Cup race weekend already on it. We've run 5 local races, a Man Cup weekend, and will run it in the night race. We'll send it back to Comet after that. All that's been done to it is one carb diaphragm change and keeping the clutch bushing lubed.
We were under the impression that it would take a lot more work than it has, but so far it's been pretty reliable. A new Comet will cost you $1850, plus clutch, can, mount, and air box. Simon's Sportsman motor would probably need some work for Jr. ( I think there are some carb differences, and maybe some other things), but it's a good deal, and ready to go. One thing I've noticed is that there are some engines out there that are less expensive, but I would look around and see who's motors are running without problems. I've never seen Dicky's (CKI), John's (Adkins), or Chris's (Comet) give them any trouble. I'm sure there are others as well, but thats just my observation, and I'm not sure what everyone else is running.

As far as tires go, it is a little harder on them than the 4-cycle. For local races, we've been using take-offs from Man Cup, with one set of new one's at the second GSKA race. We've worn out what we have, and will probably have to use a new set at the night race.

If you plan to do any Man Cup, you'll need two new sets a weekend. Practice on old ones your first time, and qualify on new ones. This weekends race tires are your practice tires the next time. The guys who are running at the front might use as many as four sets a weekend, practicing on one or two new sets on Friday. As good as the YLC's are, they fall off a couple of tenths pretty quick, and then stabilize. Can't afford that at the National level.

Hope this was helpful...
CN

Last edited by Chuck Newman on Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33691

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Engine Preferences? Reply with quote

Xracing36 wrote:
So I am on the verge of moving up to Yamaha Junior, and depending on weight for next year, Yamaha Senior in 2014. However, I have a couple of questions for you guys who run Yamaha already about the engine such as upkeep and pricing.

First of all, who is your engine builder/tuner? Initially, of course, I would be buying a Yamaha Can for the Junior division, so what would be the pricing of said engine builder on a brand new one?

Second, after how many races do you take your engine in to the shop and have them do a tuneup to it? We ran our clone through about ten or so racedays plus two testing weekends and it didn't need a whole lot.

Finally, after how many race weekends do you change tires? I've heard from friends who run up north in Yamaha Junior that for a Man Cup weekend they'll have their practice set and a brand new set of tires for the racing alone.

Any feedback is appreciated,
Xander

I have been a die hard Adkins fan for many reasons. 1. He builds fast motors that consistently win at a national level. 2. Great support, always available to answer questions 3. Fair and reasonable pricing 4. Kyle is the most honest guy I have ever worked with. He does try to sell you something that you don't need (Daniel White can confirm this) and you don't have to worry that your fast motor whether its a cylinder or carb is going to the preferred customer or house engine. I am not saying that others are not like this, but I will say that there are ones out there that will.

Engine builders that I would consider are: Adkins, P1, CMC, Comet, Wojter. There are others and I have preferences, but any of these will build very good motors.

New Blue printed motor is typically around $1500 - $1,900 depending the builder. Personally, I would go buy that Adkins motor the guy is selling on our website if it has truely been rebuild and blueprinted. Great price.

If you take good care of your motor, you can race it all year at a local level. This does not take into account test days. If you are planning to race a national level, plan to rebuild after every other race weekend.

Tires, I use used tires from the nationals because I can get them for free. New tires will always be faster if the chassis is tuned right.
Xracing36

Score: 1782

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys!

I was looking into the Adkins on the classifieds, and I just wasn't sure if it would be out of date as everyone is always trying to get faster. I'll definitely check out the engine manufacturers mentioned, but I'm always a little timid depending on price if it will just be there to run and not to truly race.

I figured tires would be slightly worse than 4 cycle with the higher horsepower and faster speeds, so we are prepared on that end of things.

I'll still be in Clone Junior for the Night Race, but we'll see where things go from there over the summer. If plans go right I'll be in Yamaha Junior come August and maybe hit up Mooresville in June or July. The oldest of my younger brothers, Carson, would step up into my clone setup.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33691

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adkins motor is most likely current. The rules have not changed in many many years and there is not alot you can do with them. Any motor you buy that is not new, you should find out:
1. The piston size. Personally I would not buy a motor with a piston bigger than a 54.6
2. Is it an Old or New Style Head. Preference is new style
3. Make sure it is a 787 cylinder
4. Make sure it is a Jr. or Sr. Motor (big carb) and not a Sportsman motor (small carb)
5. When was the last rebuild and what was done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: